Friday, January 21, 2011

More Inspiration: UPA

Ok so it's been a while since I've updated but ya know... such is life.

So onto more inspiration for my senior film. Aside from the amazing line work I showed before, the artwork and style of UPA studios is without a doubt some of my favorite work in any art media. I love it. I cannot get enough of the stuff. And I just love how simplistic and it yet it is brilliant and tells you just what you need to know.

Some of the photos I used as inspiration for my backgrounds were just some shots from their old shorts.


So simple! Yet you know it's a kitchen.

Great negative space...



As you can see, the crew was a master at minimalism and line work as well.

As far as characters go... that's a bit more tricky. At this point in time I have some characters drawn out, modeled and textured but I'm not sure if I'm happy with them. So they are likely to change. But either way, here are some great characters from UPA.



There's like 10 lines here. And it's amazing.


Again, just a few simple shapes is all they make.
So you can see how they really incorporated minimalism in all aspects of their animations. And that's what I'm really going to try and do in my animation. It's just so fun and simple. Animation doesn't have to be crazy looking to be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment